In a wine bar near Melbourne's City district, four people were let go for not attending a "compulsory" Christmas party and paintball day that'd take place an hour drive outside of the city.
One of the workers showed the text exchange with one of the owners. We can see how asking about penalty rates and a few days off costed her job for not being committed enough.
Staff sacked because they didn’t go to a Christmas party. 6jin84
Staff sacked because they didn’t go to a Christmas party. 2zekm60

This is probably not that surprising for people working in casual shifts without a proper contract. You can be sack immediately with little reason.

One of the staff fired, was a bartender and kitchen staff and had been working there since 2012. After the day of the party he was asked into a metting with his bosses where he was told they were not impressed, that they didn't have any more shifts for him and that they didn't want to hear his blah-blah. He was also informed that it was a business decision and that the other few ones who didn't attend would have the same fate. He decided to open an online petition.
Alfonzo Elizondo wrote:
“Every Northcote local has heard of the cocktail bar, Joe’s Shoe Store, What patrons don’t know is how this bar, and its sister-venue Uncle Joe’s, treat their staff like dirt. They think they can get away with treating us like this because we’re casual workers. But I’ve had enough. How can they believe it’s reasonable to fire us for not attending a party? I’m calling on you to stand with me in condemning Joe’s Shoe Store and Uncle Joe’s."

The petition in megaphone.org.au was a success and the management has urged a meeting to try to solve the situation of unpaid wages and supperannuation, with Hospo Voice Leaders to ensure Joe's comply.